PNG image type
Today, PNG is one of the most common raster image formats on the web. In 1995, the founders of the development of the Internet were invited to develop this format as an alternative to the popular GIF format.
The main goal was to create a new format, more flexible and free of patents. As a result of the joint work, PNG was born, which has since unofficially been deciphered as “PNG - NOT GIF”. This graphic format uses the Deflate algorithm , which allows lossless image compression, unlike the popular JPEG format . This method allows you to get images with pure plain colors even for contrasting contours.
Now consider the pros and cons of PNG images in more detail.
Among the advantages of PNG format are:
- minimal loss of visual image quality during compression ;
- The format is well suited for storing intermediate versions of graphic resources. When you save the image again , the quality is not lost ;
- PNG supports a wide color range . PNG-8 (256 colors) and PNG-24 (about 16.7 million colors);
- there is an implementation of multi-level transparency ;
- it is possible to work with layers ;
- There is the possibility of adding metadata to the file ;
Among the disadvantages of the PNG format are:
- does not support animation ;
- full-color images greatly increase file size ;
- You cannot store an arbitrary number of images in one graphic file;
Now it becomes clear what caused the popularity of the PNG format for web designers. This is the only format that allows the use of full-color pictures with a transparent background .
For example, it is very important for creating logos - this requires the presence of a transparent background. This format is also used to create web page navigation elements, prints, lithographs, text, graphics, images with sharp edges - wherever a transparent background , good compression, detail and clear borders of the image are needed .
Check PNG-images on your site
Just share the link to this page with your friends